The first records show that “The Church of Christ at Beaverdam” was constituted on March 19, 1836. As was most often the case, a small crowd of close neighbors, seven men and seven women, wanted to start a church. The Rev. William Stokes was chosen as first pastor. Records of this first meeting have been preserved. They show columns listing the name of each member, date received into church, how received and how dismissed. These listings reflect what was a normal practice in ante bellum days throughout Georgia. Men, women, white and black all belonged in the same congregation. Many black members were received into the church until emancipation and the end of the Civil War. The regular church meeting was held on Saturday with the black members gathering on the following “Sabbath Evening.” The end of the War found this practice coming to an end. That point came for Beaverdam in 1874 according to the church records. According to the Minutes of May 16, 1874,“Granted letters of dismission to 13 colored members for the purpose of constituting a colored Baptist Church in the vicinity.” Actions such as this took place throughout Wilkes and all other Georgia counties. In many instances, the blacks were given the older meeting house to use while the whites built a new sanctuary nearby. An example of that practice can be found in Wilkes County where the whites at Newford moved to a new church in nearby Danburg, Danburg Baptist was erected in 1879. The blacks, staying in the old sanctuary, reorganized that year keeping the name Newhope. Though heavily remodeled, that sanctuary remains intact and in use by the congregation today.