Senoia Methodist was the first church built in what is now the town of Senoia, approximately 30 years after the county of Coweta was officially organized. Coweta County was one of five counties created by the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs, when Chief William McIntosh relinquished Creek Indian lands to the United States. The treaty was very controversial among the Creeks and McIntosh was slain by an irate group of fellow Creeks at his home on the Chattahoochee River. Coweta was named after McIntosh’s tribe and their town of Coweta, one of the largest centers for the Creek Nation. Senoia is an usual name and comes from the name of William McIntosh’s mother. Rev. Francis Warren Baggarly bought the land on which Senoia now stands in 1860. He then founded the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1861. The first meetings were held in a brush arbor. The first building erected in the town of Senoia was known as the Rock House and was intended for commercial purposes, but was soon pressed into service as a commissary for the Confederacy as the conflagration was sweeping over the south. The Methodist church began to share this building by using the upstairs of the Rock House as its first permanent home. According to church history, a Virginia refugee, Mrs. Herndon, organized and conducted the first Sunday School classes and pine benches of rough lumber were made by Mr. Iverson Sims. Mr. Mays did most of the carpentry work. The pulpit made by Brother Mays was used by Rev. Baggarly for many years and is still there in the church today, as are the pedestals now being used for flowers. They were originally lamp posts placed on either side of the pulpit. The first separate building for the church was erected on the current site in 1871. It was later sold and moved and the present sanctuary was built in 1898, of shingles in the Queen Anne style. It has been said that Senoia Methodist is the best example of Queen Anne architecture in the state of Georgia.